The Kendal Unity Festival celebrates the strengths and diversity of the people of Kendal by building unity and community cohesion, celebrating diversity, fostering good relations, tackling discrimination and promoting understanding between and within its diverse communities.
The Festival is aimed at advancing equality, challenging prejudice and discrimination through voluntary action and active citizenship. The Festival provides opportunities for formal and informal community groups, networks, public, private and third sector organisations to showcase a range of activities on offer within the community that local people can get involved in. It will raise awareness of shared issues and create opportunities for learning new skills, including tasting cuisines and cultures from around the world.
Kendal Unity Festival 2018
The first Kendal Unity Festival will take place on June 23rd, 2018 coinciding with National Refugee Week and the Great Get Together activities marking the life of late Jo Cox, MP.
The main programme will take place between 10 am and 4 pm in the Abbot Hall Park, Abbot Hall Social Centre and a range of venues around Kendal town centre with complementary world music performances and entertainment taking place at the Birdcage in the nearby Brewery Arts Centre and other venues.
The Kendal Town Council, South Lakeland District Council and Cumbria County Council’s members and staff agreed in principle to support the organising committee of the Festival.
Kendal Unity Festival Offers
- A unique opportunity for voluntary and community groups to showcase their work and share information about their services and projects;
- A free public event appealing to all ages and abilities;
- Members of the public attending short taster 'feel good' workshops;
- A chance to learn more about some of the groups taking part, and listen to poetry and music;
- Opportunities to learn a new language or skill;
- Global Coffee Morning and all day International Tasting sessions;
- Performances from local drumming groups, folk musicians and dancers from diverse local communities;
- A day of ‘unity in the community’ by advancing equality and celebrating diversity.
- The Key Benefits of the Kendal Unity Festival
- Supporting projects/initiatives to build community cohesion and foster good relations by tackling prejudice, promoting mutual understanding and celebrating the diversity of people and cultures in Kendal;
- Encouraging active citizenship and facilitating greater participation and inclusion through community action and engagement in a wide range of activities;
- Empowering Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) people and other marginalised groups and communities living in Kendal by highlighting their issues as well as contributions to the local economy and culture;
- Welcoming newcomers, refugees and migrant workers and introduce these families to wider community networks in Kendal and support them in their social integration locally.
- Providing space for information stalls, food demos, workshops and performances.
How can you help?
1- Join the organising committee;
2- Volunteer with us in organising and delivery of the Festival;
3- Sponsor a stall or donate items for raffle prizes;
4- Book a stall for your organisation to promote your work and services;
5- Help in raising funds;
6- Promote the aims and objectives of the Festival through social media and other communication channels.
Kendal Unity Festival Outcomes
The outcomes will include the following:
- Increased confidence and trust among participant groups to work more collaboratively for the achievement of shared objectives;
- Greater awareness and understanding of the issues affecting minority or marginalised groups;
- Strengthening solidarity and cooperation in communities by building sustainable voluntary and community networks;
- Promotion of Kendal as a welcoming place for all who want to live, work, study, visit or conduct business in the Town.
AWAZ has been working in partnership with local organisations and groups in Kendal for many years and they are keen to bring the positive model of the Unity Festival to Kendal, building on the proven success of the similar Unity Festivals in Carlisle in 2016 and 2017; For further details please visit https://equalitycumbria.org/awaz-cumbria/carlisle-unity-festival Please read News: https://goo.gl/eT3FXe and watch Video: https://goo.gl/3cbSV9 or see photos at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidambridge/sets/72157683916752130 .
Recognising the community resilience and unity demonstrated in Kendal and the surrounding areas following the December 2015 floods, the South Lakeland Equality and Diversity Partnership entrusted AWAZ Cumbria to lead on organising Kendal Unity Festival by working in partnership with local groups and organisations.
If you have any questions, comments/suggestions or need further information, please contact;
Aftab Khan – Development Manager, AWAZ Cumbria; Coordinator, Kendal Unity Festival